Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A chart

We have been having some challenges with behaviour lately and it has been absolutely draining.  If you have children, you know what I mean.  I feel like I have tried everything without success.  Raising children is not easy, and God knows that, so He gave us a book with all the answers!

All scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
~2 Tim 3:16

We needed to decide what we were going to focus on.  I have been trying to deal with everything all at once and, of course, the result is frustration.  The thing I have struggled to handle the most is the arguing, complaining, answering back.  So I made a chart.  Across the top I wrote:

Do all things without complaining or arguing.
~Phil. 2:14

The bottom section is divided into a 5 x 2 grid.  When asked to do something, the children would get a mark in the happy face section when they did it cheerfully, but if they grumbled about it, they got a mark in the sad face section.  We started this yesterday and what a great day we had!  Our 4 year old (the biggest arguer of all) was actually asking me to get him to do something just so he could gain a happy face mark.

They had lots of opportunities.  If they began to complain or argue, but then changed their attitude after being reminded, they still got a happy face mark.  Give them as many opportunities to succeed as possible, I say!

We have been repeating the scripture throughout yesterday and today, and most of the children know it now.  I will continue with the chart for a couple of days and then take it away, but still expect cheerfullness.  After all, we want to obey God's word because we love Him; not for happy face marks!

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where theives break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where theives do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
~Matt. 6:19-21

Here is a picture of our chart at the end of yesterday:

Looks good, huh?

I laminated the sheet after writing the scripture and drawing up the grid so it's reusable.  I'm sure I will need to pull it out again.  ;)  I'm thinking I may make up a generic one, so I can simply write in the scripture we are working on at the time.

Only by His grace,
~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment