Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

A real-life parable

Do you ever find that God will speak to you through the things that happen in the course of life?  I do.  It seems He uses this method with me often.  In the Bible we find that He taught using parables - stories that made spiritual concepts come alive to the people who heard them.  My previous post described an incident that became a bit of a 'parable' in my life.

Before I became a parent I didn't think there was anything that could have such a hold on my heart.  But, it seems, the 'mother-child' bond is well and truly alive in me!

I've come to realise that just as my children are so very close to my heart, God's children are even closer to His.  And yet, just as my children do not heed me at times, so we do not heed Him.  We can confess to being a 'christian'.  We can try and 'live right'.  We can even go to church each Sunday.  But for the most part we ignore His rule in our life.  How often He must look out over His children and have His heart break!

When Naomi fell into the pond, Bethany didn't stand around and wallow in self-pity or blame her circumstances for her feelings or find an activity to do to cover things up.  No.  In all her pure 3 year old wisdom, Bethany ran straight to the closest person who could fix the problem - her Daddy.  It got me thinking.  Where do I run when things go wrong?  Where do you run?

The Lord is good.  When people are in trouble, they can go to him for safety.  He takes good care of those who trust in him.
Nahum 1:7 (NIrV)


As God's child I should be running straight to Him for He has the power to pluck me from my trouble - and my sin.  Jesus came into this world to live a sinless, perfect life; to die and rise again so that I may have free and unrestricted access to the Father.  Jesus' perfection covers my imperfection and I can freely enter into the presence of God.  I can run to my Daddy!  So can you.

In Whom, because of our faith in Him, we dare to have boldness (courage and confidence) of free access (an unreserved approach to God with freedom and without fear).  
Eph 3:12 (AMP)

This real-life 'parable' also got me thinking about the importance of having someone to watch out for you.  We all know the water-safety message - "Never swim alone".  It's a bit like life really.  "Don't do life alone."  We need an accountability partner.  Someone who can run to God on our behalf - or better still take our hand and lead us back to His throne of grace.  We all fall.  We all sin.  We are all tempted.  We all need a trusted someone to look out for us.

If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.  If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.
Proverbs 15:31-32 (NLT)


I'm so thankful that God has an open-door policy and that I can run to Him on a daily basis.  I'm glad that He has placed people in my life to help me grow and stay 'on track'.  The love I have for my children cannot compare to the love that God has for His children. 

But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him
Psalm 103:17a (NIV)

Only by His grace,
~Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment