Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

God's skeleton

Do you ever have those 'from the mouths of babes' experiences?  I seem to have them on a regular basis and many of them come from Jeremiah.

A couple of days back he came to me and said, "Mum do you know that we are God's skeleton?"

As he had caught me off-guard, I replied with a very sophisticated, "Oh?"

"Yes," he replied.  "We are His skeleton and He lives inside us.  And I know, because I asked Him to come there."

It was such an adorable, sweet, precious moment; and it was one of those moments that left me contemplating.

We are reminded in Acts 17 that it is God who "..gives everyone life and breath and everything else" (vs. 25) and that "...in Him we live and move and have our being" (vs. 28)

So we know that it is God who gives us life and ability etc.  But Jeremiah's comment got me thinking that, in a way, the reverse is also true.  In us, God lives and moves and has His being.  We are the vessels He uses to accomplish His purposes upon the Earth.  We are His hands and feet.  He uses us, in our fleshly, physical form to do His work.  We are commissioned in Mark 16:15 to go out and preach the gospel.  This verse, and others throughout scripture, implies action and action (in this world) requires a physical body.

How much do I allow God to do His work through me?  Am I so caught up in my own life that I forget that I am here for 'such a time as this'?  He has put me here to accomplish His deeds - not my own.  Please note that this is most certainly not to say that we must work in order to earn salvation.  No!  The Bible makes it very clear that we are saved by GRACE alone!  Nothing we do can earn our passage to Heaven.  I have been saved BY GRACE ALONE.  I cannot earn it.  I don't deserve it.  And yet, His grace provided for me!  WOW!

And it is because of His saving grace that I WANT to do His work.  It is not an obligation, but a privilege. We are here for such a short time and then there is all eternity.  Am I allowing Christ to accomplish His mission through my life while I am here?  It is what I want, but my sinful flesh wishes to live for me.  Saint Teresa of Avila is quoted as saying:

"Christ has no body on earth but yours;
No hands but yours;
No feet but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which He is to look out - 
Christ's compassion to the world.
Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good.
Yours are the hands with which He is to bless others now."

It is my prayer that God is able to use me for His purposes.  That, in Him and for Him, I am able to accomplish the purpose for which He placed me here.  I pray, like Paul, that I may decrease in order for Him to increase.  Yes, I pray that I, truely, become GOD'S SKELETON.

Only by His grace,
~Amanda.

1 comment:

  1. Saved by grace, In His grace, through grace, with grace. It's all about GRACE!

    Such a cute story :)

    ReplyDelete